- 10 oz. Cal-Organic Shredded Carrots
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, chilled and cut into 8 pieces
- 1 cup and 3 tbsp. half & half, divided
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 4 oz. cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a food processor, add the flour and salt and pulse several times. Add the butter and pulse several more times and then process for about 1 minute until mixture resembles grated Parmesan cheese. Add 3 tbsp. of half and half and pulse several more times until the mixture comes together.
- Dump the mixture into a pie pan. Press the crust firmly into the pan with your fingers, being sure to press up the sides of the pan. Bake the crust for approximately 12 minutes.
- As the crust is prebaking, place the shredded carrots and orange juice in a sauce pan and cover. Heat on medium for 10 minutes.
- Once the crust is prebaked, whisk together the eggs, half and half, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Place the filling into crust by adding the cooked carrots, egg mixture and sprinkle with the cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Allow to cool slightly before slicing and serving.
Tips for storing carrots
Store carrots in a resealable plastic bag or other airtight container.
To extend the shelf life of your carrots, you can place a damp paper towel in the bag or container, but avoid storing carrots in water as it will soften their texture.
Carrots should be stored in the refrigerator between 34 and 36 degrees Fahrenheit.
Avoid storing carrots near ethylene-producing fruits and vegetables, such as apples or pears.
Try Another Recipe
We didn’t find any recipes matching that description. Please try removing a search term or rewording your search phrases.