Golden Rice Pilaf with Sweet Shredded Carrots
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 minced shallot, or small onion
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1 zest and juice of orange
- 2 cups uncooked basmati rice
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 cups Cal-Organic Rainbow Shredded Carrots
- 1/4 cup Cal-Organic Green Onions
- 1/2 cup golden raisins, raisins, currants, or other dried fruit
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup chopped mint leaves
- To taste Kosher salt
- In a medium pot with a lid over medium heat, add olive oil.
- Add shallot and cook until softened, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in turmeric, cinnamon, cumin and rice. Add 3 ½ cups water and 2 teaspoons kosher salt and ½ the orange juice. Bring to a simmer and cover.
- Cook on low for 20 to 25 minutes, or until rice is tender. Once rice is cooked, fluff with a fork.
- In a separate skillet over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Once the butter is melted, add carrots and orange zest. Cook until the carrots are slightly softened, but still tender, about 1 minute. Set carrots aside.
- Add raisins and remaining orange juice to the pan and cook until raisins plump.
- Transfer the rice to a serving dish. Top the rice with separate stripes of green onions, raisins, carrots, mint and almonds. Serve warm.
Tips for storing carrots
Store carrots in a resealable plastic bag or other airtight container.
To extend the shelf life of your carrots, you can place a damp paper towel in the bag or container, but avoid storing carrots in water as it will soften their texture.
Carrots should be stored in the refrigerator between 34 and 36 degrees Fahrenheit.
Avoid storing carrots near ethylene-producing fruits and vegetables, such as apples or pears.
Try Another Recipe
We didn’t find any recipes matching that description. Please try removing a search term or rewording your search phrases.