- 6 large Cal-Organic Rainbow Whole Carrots
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
- Black olives
- Soft mozzarella balls
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425° Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Peel the rainbow carrots and toss them in olive oil, salt and pepper. Pour onto prepared baking sheet and arrange the carrots in a single layer. Cook for 20 minutes.
- While the carrots are roasting, place the mozzarella and olives on a cutting board.
Pull pieces of the mozzarella apart and form into 12 small, ¼-inch balls. Cut olives into 12 smaller circles and center a piece of olive on each mozzarella ball to create ‘eyeballs.’
- Roll out and flatten the puff pastry. Cut into thin strips vertically.
- Remove the carrots from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes. Reset oven to 375° Fahrenheit. Once the carrots are cool to the touch, wrap a puff pastry strip around each carrot, keeping an inch-wide gap at the top to place the mummy ‘eyes.’
- Arrange the wrapped carrots on the baking sheet, brush them lightly with beaten egg, then place the sheet back in the oven and cook for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove the carrot mummies from the oven and cool for 5 minutes. Place the mozzarella and olive ‘eyes’ in the inch-wide gap between the pastry, and serve carrot mummies with ketchup and mustard. Enjoy!
Tips for storing carrots
Store carrots in a resealable plastic bag or other airtight container.
To extend the shelf life of your carrots, you can place a damp paper towel in the bag or container, but avoid storing carrots in water as it will soften their texture.
Carrots should be stored in the refrigerator between 34 and 36 degrees Fahrenheit.
Avoid storing carrots near ethylene-producing fruits and vegetables, such as apples or pears.
Try Another Recipe
We didn’t find any recipes matching that description. Please try removing a search term or rewording your search phrases.