Rainbow Carrot Chip and Mixed Vegetable Tempura
- 2 cups Cal-Organic Rainbow Carrot Chips
- 1 cup Cal-Organic Green Beans
- 1 cup Cal-Organic Broccoli
- 1 cup Cal-Organic Cauliflower
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 12 oz. seltzer water
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. sesame oil
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Trim stems from green beans. Chop broccoli and cauliflower into florets, about 1 cup each, and repurpose stems for another use.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, a pinch of salt, seltzer, soy sauce and sesame oil. Set aside until ready to use.
- Heat oil to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. When oil is hot, use chop sticks or forks to toss vegetables a few at a time in the batter and then in the oil. Fry for 3-4 minutes each, stirring and flipping often. Cook in batches and remove to a paper towel lined plate when they are done.
- Sprinkle lightly with salt while still hot. Repeat with remaining batter and vegetables.
- Make ponzu sauce by stirring together ½ cup soy sauce and ½ cup mirin. Serve with fried vegetables.
Tips for storing carrots
Store carrots in a resealable plastic bag or other airtight container.
To extend the shelf life of your carrots, you can place a damp paper towel in the bag or container, but avoid storing carrots in water as it will soften their texture.
Carrots should be stored in the refrigerator between 34 and 36 degrees Fahrenheit.
Avoid storing carrots near ethylene-producing fruits and vegetables, such as apples or pears.
Try Another Recipe
We didn’t find any recipes matching that description. Please try removing a search term or rewording your search phrases.